Last week a dozen folks from our church traveled to Red Oak, Iowa. We served in that community, sharing the Gospel with over 200 people at the Montgomery County Fair. Our booth (Crossroads Community Church, Red Oak, IA) was situated across from the Republican’s table. On Saturday afternoon, I had the privilege of meeting United States Congressman, David Young. After we discussed his spiritual life (he’s a born again believer), I posed a political question. I wanted to know his opinion of Trump’s Vice Presidential pick, Mike Pence. Young expressed complete Confidence in the Indiana Governor and assured me this man’s evangelical faith was the real deal. In fact, he believes Pence will be a fantastic help to Trump, especially in the matters of what it means to truly be a follower of Jesus Christ. Now home, I decided to do some personal research on Mike Pence, verifying the Iowa Congressman’s glowing endorsement. So, here’s what I discovered:
- Mike Pence has worked as a Lawyer, a political talk show radio host, a Congressman, and now serves the Hoosier State as Governor, elected in 2013.
- Pence’s family raised him as a staunch Catholic. He attended Mass several times a week as a child and served as an altar boy on multiple occasions.
- He committed his life to Christ in college.
- A personal mantra about himself is, “Christian, Conservative, Republican…in that order.”
- From the Roll Call website: “His reputation as a culture warrior was unsullied. He opposed federal spending on embryonic stem cell research, was active in efforts to advance a constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage, fought expansion of abortion rights and got new federal funding for Planned Parenthood cut off for a time.”
- At last December’s Republican Jewish Coalition’s Conference, Pence said concerning Israel, “Israel’s enemies are our enemies, Israel’s cause is our cause. If this world knows nothing else, let it know this: America stands with Israel.”
Governor Pence would be the first to say he’s not perfect. In fact, he calls himself a “pretty ordinary Christian.” But, his record in politics speaks volumes, Obviously he strives to make political dealings based upon his knowledge of Scripture and his walk with Jesus Christ. While in Congress, he was characterized as one of the strongest social Conservatives in the Republican Party. Maybe…just maybe…a little Pence might wear off on Trump.
And that wouldn’t be a bad thing.